Peels offered at Skin by Lovely range from very superficial to superficial, designed to improve the texture and appearance of the skin.
Avoid the following treatments one week before your scheduled peel::
- Depilatory Creams.
- Laser Hair Removal.
Avoid the following products three days before your scheduled peel:
- Any products containing retinol, alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), or benzoyl peroxide.
- Any exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating.
*Note: The use of the above products/treatments prior to your peel may increase skin sensitivity
and cause a stronger reaction.
Variations in the amount of visible peeling:
The degree of peeling may vary from no visible peeling, mild flaking to skin peeling in sheets depending on the individual’s skin type, skin condition and specific peel at the time of treatment. Reasons why some patients experience decreased visible peeling:
- Receiving a chemical peel for the first time.
- Thickened and severely damaged skin (increased visible peeling should develop with subsequent peels).
- Having peels regularly with a short interval between peels.
- Frequent use of retinol, AHA/BHA products or other peeling agents prior to the peel treatment.
Regardless of the degree of peeling, the skin is still sloughing off at an accelerated rate, which will result in the improvement of skin tone and texture, and diminishment of fine lines and pigmentation.
For best results AVOID the following:
- Sun exposure.
- “Helping” the skin to peel. NO pulling, rubbing, scrubbing or peeling the skin as this can cause
scarring or hyperpigmentation.
- Abrasive facial cleansers or facial scrubs for at least 10 days.
- Any product containing Retin-A, Tretinoin, Renova, Differin (Adapalene), Tazorac, alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA, glycolic acid, lactic acid), benzyl peroxide or beta hydroxy acid (BHA, salicylic acid), mint, spearmint or spiced-based products.
- Strenuous exercise for at least 2 days post peel.
Day 1 Evening Routine:
- Wash face with a gentle cleanser and luke warm water.
- Pat face dry.
- Apply Hyaluronic Acid and Argan Oil as needed.
- If you are experiencing any irritation or discomfort, apply a small amount of 1% or 2.5% hydrocortisone.
- Skin may look and feel like a mild windburn; Avoid any direct sunlight.
- Wear an all-natural sunblock with at least SPF 30 (such as Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41).
- Reapply sunscreen 3 times daily.
- It is okay to wear makeup today.
- Follow the same evening routine as day 1.
- Depending on your skin type, peeling may begin.
- The treated area will be very sensitive to sun exposure – direct sun exposure should be limited.
- Sunblock of at least SPF 30 should be reapplied every 2-3 hours.
- You can apply a Hyaluronic Acid and/or Argan Oil to the skin as needed.
- If you have melasma or any discolorations, use hydrocortisone 3 times daily until peeling has stopped.
Only use pure mineral foundation and powder post peel. Treat your skin very gently and let it peel on its own time. If anything looks unusual or feels painful then call the office immediately. Continue to protect your skin with a sunscreen. You can resume your normal product regime after your 10 day follow up appointment. Please keep in mind that not all skin types will physically flake or peel. This can be attributed to any number of reasons; the thickness of your skin, the type of peel, if you regularly exfoliate, etc. It is not necessary to peel in order to receive the benefits of a chemical exfoliation.
Please contact us immediately at if you experiencing:
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Intense pain the treated area
- Excessive swelling that is increasing with time
- Skin color and/or temperature changes other than bruising (where skin is white or hot/cold)
- If you aren’t sure if what you are experiencing is normal – call or email us! We are happy to help!