Are you dying to plump your pout but feeling a little hesitant about lip injections? Not to worry; dermal filler is an extremely safe and reliable option for achieving some seriously luscious lips. However, there are some crucial steps you must follow before and after lip filler injections. Here are 7 tips and tricks of the trade you need to know if you plan on getting treated with lip filler.
Want Better Results From Lip Filler Injections? Follow These Tips.
- Don’t; I repeat, do NOT drink alcohol for at least 3-4 days prior to your appointment. I know that glass of Pinot is tempting, but you can count on a lot less bleeding and bruising if you resist the urge.
-Oh, and while we’re on the topic, don’t take fish oils, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, or garlic for up to 7 days before your treatment. These things thin your blood too.
- Don’t drink for at least 24 hours following your treatment, either. Alcohol causes inflammation, so those already swollen lips will only get bigger (and more uncomfortable) if you decide to partake the night of your treatment. Instead, relax (and hydrate) with some flavored sparkling water.
- Do know that you may be rather swollen for a day or two after your treatment. But also know that this is totally normal and that the swelling will subside. Rest assured, the swelling will go down.
- Don’t massage your lips post treatment! They’ll be a bit firm and possibly bumpy for week or so but let them be. If you massage them you risk moving the filler around, which could result in very undesirable results!
- Do prop yourself up with an extra pillow the night of your treatment. This will greatly aid in reducing swelling. Sleeping quasi-vertically certainly isn’t the most comfortable way to get your zzz’s but you’ll be thankful for the less than ideal sleeping position the next morning.
- Don’t exercise for at least 24 hours following treatment. Just tell your CrossFit coach you had food poisoning because let’s face it…he/she probably won’t understand the whole lip filler excuse.
- Do take Arnica pellets 4x a day for at least 4 days following your treatment. Simply dissolve 4 pellets under your tongue and avoid coffee and mints for 30 minutes so the pellets can work their magic. These little miracle workers are available for purchase in our office or at your local health foods store.
Okay, now you’re officially ready for those dreamy, kissable lips! So say goodbye to that so-called “plumping” gloss, lip challenges, and over exfoliation; and say hello to your new voluminous lips!
Appointments are available at both our Santa Monica, CA and Portland, OR offices. Schedule a consultation today!
Post contributed by: Leslie Thomas, Aesthetic Consultant