So you’re getting ready for an upcoming dermal filler appointment? Or maybe you’re just considering dermal filler for the future— either way, we want you to be as prepared as possible!
Our team at Skin by Lovely understands that in order to feel good about almost anything in life, you need to feel confident.
This is why our locations in Santa Monica, Portland, and Lake Oswego offer initial complimentary consultations so you can discuss any and all of your questions with one of our expert Injection Specialists.
And since knowledge is power— we’ve also put together this list of things you need to know before and after your dermal filler injections. Let’s dive in.
Preparing for Dermal Filler Injections
Whether you’re preparing for:
- Cheek and temple dermal filler with Juvederm Ultra Plus XC and Restylane Lyft
- Tear trough dermal filler with Restylane Lyft and Belotero
- Nasolabial dermal filler with Restylane Refyne and Defyne
- Lip dermal filler injections with Juvederm Ultra Plus XC
there are foundational tried-and-true instructions we suggest to all of our dermal filler patients. This is also true for the different hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers on the market such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero.
We call these instructions “pre and post-care” and strongly suggest our patients follow them to ensure the best experience and results possible.
Before your Dermal Filler Appointment
For less bruising and a faster recovery, be sure to follow Skin by Lovely’s Pre-Treatment Instructions for Dermal Filler:
-Trade your caffeine for some extra H2O.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily leading up to your appointment and be sure to thoroughly moisturize the injection areas prior to your visit. Hydrated skin is happy skin.
-Supplement with the following to help speed up recovery and diminish potential bruising:
- Take 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily before your treatment. The earlier you start, the better!
- Pre-treat with Arnica Montana 4 days before your treatment by dissolving 4 pellets under your tongue 4 times a day. Arnica can be purchased at any of our locations as well as pharmacies and health food stores.
-To help prevent excess bruising and swelling, avoid the following blood thinners for 7 days prior to your appointment(unless otherwise instructed by a physician)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Ibuprofen and Aspirin
- Vitamin E
- Ginkgo Biloba
–Avoid alcoholic beverages for 4 days prior. (Yes, that includes wine….)
Doing so will help prevent healing delays, bruising and swelling, and dehydration.
-To lessen your chance of irritation and redness, pause the use of retinoids and exfoliating acids for 3 days leading up to your appointment and for 3 days after.
After your Dermal Filler Appointment
Now for the after-care instructions. Please, please, please do not overlook these tips!
You will thank us later. We promise.
Even though dermal filler treatments are non-surgical, they still require injections, aka trauma, to the skin. Bruising and swelling may occur as a result— but by the following Skin by Lovely’s Post-Treatment Instructions for Dermal Filler you will help ensure the longevity of your results as well as help prevent any unwanted discomfort.
-Do not massage the treatment area!
The area may look asymmetrical or uneven for up to 10 days after– this is normal!
So is swelling– it will go down.
–Avoid the following for 24 hours after your treatment:
- Saunas or extreme heat
- Any type of exercise. Basically, don’t work up a sweat.
–Avoid retinoids and exfoliating acids for 3 days after your treatment.
-Keep your head above your heart for at least 4 hours afterward. So no shoe shopping or downward-facing dog!
-Sleep upright on your back the night following your treatment to help minimize swelling.
-If you experience the following side effects:
- Swelling: Lightly apply Arnica cream and continue taking oral Arnica pellets.
- Bruising: Lightly apply Revision Skincare’s Vitamin K. This can be purchased from any of our locations. Take 200mg of the supplement Bromelain.
- Both swelling and bruising: Ice and OTC anti-inflammatory agents (ie: Ibuprofen) and pain relievers (ie: Tylenol) can be helpful.
However, if you are experiencing severe side effects such as difficulty breathing or swallowing, or intense and painful swelling at the injection site- call 911 immediately and then email email@example.com.
Facial Dermal Filler in Santa Monica, Portland, & Lake Oswego
We hope you now feel more confident and prepared heading into your upcoming dermal filler appointment, but if you have any further questions— our team is here to help!
Skin by Lovely Injection Specialists specialize in non-surgical, natural-looking facial medical aesthetic treatments and are leading experts in our field. Your care is of utmost importance to us, and we can’t wait to deliver the aesthetic results you’ve been dreaming of..
Contact Skin by Lovely today with your dermal filler questions and to schedule your initial complimentary consultation. Appointments are available at Skin by Lovely Santa Monica, Portland, and Lake Oswego.
About Skin by Lovely™
Skin by Lovely specializes in FDA-approved, natural-looking, non-surgical, medical facial aesthetics and rejuvenation treatments. With practices in Santa Monica, CA, Portland, OR, and Lake Oswego, OR. Skin by Lovely is certified by Allergan, the makers of Botox® and Juvederm®, as a Top 10 facial aesthetic practice in the United States and a Top 25 account for Galderma, the makers of Dysport® and Restylane®. Get the treatment you deserve at Skin by Lovely.
More information can be found at skinbylovely.com.