Want to prepare yourself before your dermal filler lip enhancement treatment? Skin by Lovely Injection Specialist, Birttany Lehmann PA-C, answers the most commonly asked questions on how to get your own pair of ‘lovely lips’. Learn what you can expect before, during, and after lip filler treatment.
Q: What product will be used during my lip enhancement treatment?
Q: Is there anything I should do to prepare for my appointment?
A: Yes! To help prevent bruising and swelling from your lip filler appointment, we suggest the following:
- Up to a week before (or longer) supplement daily with 2000mg of Vitamin C.
- Take Arnica 4 days before your treatment by dissolving 4 pellets under your tongue 4 times a day.
- Stay hydrated! Drink at least 64oz of water daily.
- Avoid blood thinners (such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Fish Oil, etc.) and alcohol for at least 4 days prior.
- To lessen your chance of redness or irritation, pause the use of retinoids and topical acids 3 days before your treatment.
Q: How long is the average lip filler appointment?
A: Dermal lip filler appointments typically last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the patient’s facial anatomy and aesthetic goals.
Q: What should I expect immediately after my appointment?
A: Immediately following lip injections, patients will begin to experience some swelling of their lips and will likely feel a little numb from the dermal filler itself for about an hour after treatment. Most dermal fillers contain lidocaine, a numbing agent, mixed in with the hyaluronic acid to help make the injections more comfortable for patients. This is what causes the sensation of numbness during treatment and for a short period afterwards.
Bruising is also possible with any injection.
*see above tips to help prevent bruising and swelling!
Q: Is there anything I should avoid after my lip enhancement treatment?
A: Following your appointment, we suggest the following to ensure optimal results:
- Don’t massage the treatment area.
- No vigorous exercising for 24 hours. (sorry, no spin class for you!)
- Sleep with your head slightly elevated(add an extra pillow) on your back the night of, to help reduce swelling.
- Avoid any product to the area for 6 hours and avoid retinoids or topical acids for 3 days following your treatment.
- Continue taking Arnica for 2-3 days after your appointment to help reduce any bruising and swelling.
Q: Anything I should expect over the next few weeks after my appointment?
A: Over the next few weeks, it is very normal to be able to “feel” the filler while it is settling into the native lip tissue. While no one will be able to see the filler, it may feel more firm initially and then gradually soften until you can hardly feel it’s there at all! We always like to see our patients back two weeks after their lip filler treatment to ensure everything has settled beautifully.
Q: How long will my lip enhancement last?
A: Dermal lip filler typically provides gorgeous results anywhere from ~6 months up to a year. As dermal filler is not permanent, subsequent appointments will be needed to maintain your results.
Interested in learning more about dermal filler lip enhancement?
Contact Skin by Lovely to set up a consultation with one of our Injection Specialists today!
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]https://www.skinbylovely.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Brittany-Lehmann-PAC.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]Brittany Lehmann PA-C is an Injection Specialist at Skin by Lovely Santa Monica. Brittany is a board certified Physician Assistant who received her Masters in Medical Sciences from Midwestern University in 2015. Brittany is known by her patients for her compassionate personality and eye for all things beauty. She strives to bring out each patient’s inner confidence by enhancing their own natural features. Book online with Brittany here.[/author_info] [/author]