Kick Start Your Collagen Production with Sculptra Aesthetic
Non-surgical Sculptra isn’t your standard ‘filler’.
This FDA-approved injectable gets to work deep in the layers on your skin to increase your body’s own collagen production over the course of two years.
= firmer, younger-looking skin.
Ahead, we answer the 15 most frequently asked questions about Sculptra—
breaking down everything you need to know about this collagen restoring injectable treatment.
1. What is Sculptra?
Sculptra is an FDA-approved injectable1 comprised of poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA). This unique injectable option encourages your body to increase its own collagen production, thereby improving the look and firmness of your skin.
2. How does Sculptra work?
To understand how Sculptra works, it’s important to understand what exactly collagen is and why it’s so important. Collagen is a fibrous protein found in the layer of our skin called the dermis. This layer sits just below the outer layer of the skin and is the true ‘living’ layer. Here you will find the proteins collagen and elastin. While elastin is responsible for the elasticity and ‘bounce-back’ effect of the skin, collagen is the fiber responsible for the structure and support of the dermis. Over time and as the result of other external factors like UV damage, collagen starts to break down. As we age, we also produce less and less collagen fibers. This results in the look of what we call ‘aging skin’, aka wrinkles, fine lines, sagging, etc.
Now that we’ve covered the basics of what collagen is, it’s easy to see how Sculptra, which sparks collagen production in the skin, is such a gem in the world of injectables.
Upon injection, the PLLA in your Sculptra treatment stimulates the cells in the dermis to produce more collagen fibers, producing a counteractive effect to the natural loss of skin firmness associated with aging.1
3. How is Sculptra administered?
Sculptra is injected into the skin using a needle or cannula by a licensed medical professional and Injection Specialist.
4. What areas can Sculptra treat?
Sculptra is most commonly used for the nasolabial folds, aka ‘smile lines’. Other areas that can see great improvement from Sculptra treatments are:
● Hollow temples
● Marionette lines/‘laugh-lines’
● Sunken cheeks
● Jawline sagging
● Neck lines
● Chin wrinkles
5. Is Sculptra a filler?
While injected similarly, hyaluronic acid gel dermal fillers and Sculptra injections ultimately function in distinct ways. HA dermal fillers like Juvederm XC® and Restylane-L® physically replenish volume loss with a gel that holds shape within the skin. Sculptra acts as a collagen stimulator, with results appearing over the course of a few months.
6. Who is a good candidate for Sculptra?
Ideal candidates for Sculptra include adults who have no allergies to any ingredients found in Sculptra or anyone with a history of hypertrophic scarring or keloids.
Sculptra is best for those looking to improve the look and appearance of their skin over time as it is not an immediate gratification-type of injectable— though, we assure you the wait is worth it!
Also, because the results are gradual— Sculptra is an excellent choice for people looking for natural-looking, virtually undetectable results.
A Skin by Lovely patient review of Sculptra:
7. How long does Sculptra last?
Results from Sculptra typically take between three and six months to noticeably take effect after treatment. These results can then last up to two+ years!1
8. What do Sculptra before and after results look like?
Sculptra results in firmer, lifted, younger-looking skin and the improved appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and areas of facial hollowness.
9. What should I expect from my Sculptra treatment?
Sculptra injections with a qualified and trained Injection Specialist will include a full assessment and consultation to determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment, the application of a topical numbing cream to injection site areas, and the administration of the injectable using a syringe. Treatment typically takes anywhere from 30-60+ minutes depending on the number of areas being treated.
Depending on your treatment goals, more than one Sculptra treatment may be required to achieve the results you’re after. Your Injection Specialist will put together a custom treatment plan and will act as your expert guide through a personalized aesthetic experience.
10. Do Sculptra Injections hurt?
At Skin by Lovely, we recommend preparing for your Sculptra treatment the same way you would for a dermal filler appointment.
Sculptra Prep Tips:
● Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink at least 64 oz of water and be sure to moisturize the injection area prior to yo
● Take 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily before your treatment. The earlier you start, the better!
● Pre-treat with Arnica three days before your treatment by dissolving five pellets under your tongue, three times a day.
● Avoid Omega 3s, Turmeric, Ibuprofen, Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, Garlic Supplements and Aspirin for 7 days prior.
● Avoid alcoholic beverages for 4 days prior.
● To lessen your chance of irritation and redness, pause the use of Retinol and exfoliating acids three days before your treatment and for three days after.
Things to avoid before your Sculptra appointment:
● Dental visits in the past 2 weeks or coming up within 2 weeks.
● Vaccinations in the past 2 weeks or coming up within 2 weeks.
● Facial surgeries/trauma within the last 8 weeks.
● Active cold sore(s) if treating around the mouth.
● Blood thinners taken within a week prior to treatment (blood thinners extend bruising severity and time.)
12. What is the best after-care for Sculptra?
At Skin by Lovely, we recommend the following to ensure the best Sculptra results and patient comfort:
Tips for after your Sculptra appointment:
● Keep your head above your heart for at least 4 hours.
● Massage treated area gently 5 times per day for 5 minutes for 5 days after treatment.
● Apply a cool compress to the injection site(s) for up to 48 hours.
● Avoid excessive sun or heat exposure for 24 hours post-treatment.
● Do not exercise for at least 24 hours.
● Avoid saunas for at least 6 hours.
● Avoid the use of Retinol and exfoliating acids (or any potentially irritating skincare products) for 4 days following treatment.
● If you experience swelling: apply Arnica cream/gel to the area and take oral Arnica.
○ How to take Arnica pellets: dissolve five pellets under your tongue, three times a day as needed.
● If you experience bruising: apply Auriderm cream to the area and take Bromelain 200mg to encourage healing.
If you have any questions regarding pre or post-care for Sculptra, please contact us here.
13. Is there any downtime after a Sculptra treatment?
After their Sculptra treatment, most patients feel that they can go about their normal daily activities. Similar to HA fillers, you may experience some swelling at the injection site on the day of, but generally speaking, Sculptra is considered to be a zero-downtime treatment.
14. What are common side effects of Sculptra?
Similar to other injectables, the most common side effects of Sculptra include swelling and/or bruising at the injection site(s). These symptoms will generally subside within a week following your treatment. Other common side effects include tenderness, itching, pain, and redness.1 For a full list of potential Sculptra side effects, click here.
15. How much does Sculptra cost?
Sculptra treatment cost will ultimately depend on many factors including treatment goals, number of areas to be treated, as well as skin quality prior to treatment.
At Skin by Lovely, we offer pre-booking discounts for established patients and we participate in Galderma’s rewards program, Aspire. Aspire members can save up to $60 on their first qualifying treatment, and continue to save on subsequent treatments with their accrual of points.2
Sculptra at Skin by Lovely
If you’re interested in firmer, tighter and more lifted skin— we highly recommend Sculptra Aesthetic. Sculptra is hands-down one of the best treatments for those looking to rejuvenate their skin and overall appearance. Designed to actually stimulate collagen within the skin, this injectable yields subtle, yet impressive long-term results.
Scheduling your Sculptra consultation with one of our Injection Specialists in Santa Monica, CA, Portland, OR, Lake Oswego, OR, and Camas, WA is easy! Click here to book online.
Sculptra Training for Injectors
Are you a medical professional looking to learn more about Sculptra?
Skin by Lovely’s sister company InjectionU provides personalized, hands-on training that is tailored to your specific needs. InjectionU’s team of nationally-recognized trainers will give you the guidance, confidence, and tools you need to become an expert Sculptra injector.
Schedule a training here.
About Skin by Lovely™
Skin by Lovely specializes in FDA-approved, natural-looking, non-surgical, medical facial aesthetics and rejuvenation treatments. With practices in Santa Monica, CA, Portland, OR, Lake Oswego, OR, and Camas, WA, Skin by Lovely is certified by Allergan, the makers of Botox® and Juvederm®, as a Top 10 facial aesthetic practice in the United States and a Top 25 account for Galderma, the makers of Dysport® and Restylane®.
Convenient online scheduling is available for all four Skin by Lovely locations.