Best Treatments for Nasolabial Folds and Marionette Lines
Smiling and laughing are heatlhy for the heart and soul and reflections of a life well lived. Unfortunately, these expressions create permanent unwanted smile lines.. If these lines, wrinkles, and folds are beginning to bother you, Skin by Lovely has non-surgical treatments to correct nasolabial folds and marionette lines in our Portland, OR, and Santa Monica, CA aesthetic practices. Ready to feel more confident?
Solutions for Nasolabial Folds and Marionette Lines at Skin by Lovely
Before we discuss treatments, let’s go over what nasolabial folds and marionette lines are and how they develop.
Nasolabial folds are the lines that extend from the outer corners of the nose down to the outer corners of the mouth. Marionette lines are vertical lines that extend from the outer corners of the mouth down to the jawline on either side of the chin. Both are caused by:
- repeated facial expressions
- reduced production of collagen and elastin
- age-related fat reduction in the face
With the right professional treatments, we can restore lost facial volume, improve skin health and youthfulness, and reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
Dermal Fillers to Fill Nasolabial Folds and Marionette Lines
For lines around the mouth, we most often use dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that restore lost volume in the face, stimulate collagen production, and attract moisture to the treatment area. This fills in the wrinkles and folds while improving skin texture and flexibility.
Many dermal fillers are used to fill nasolabial folds and marionette lines. We will choose the right filler or combination of fillers based on your needs. We determine the right products based on how deep your wrinkles are, your expected results, medical history, and other factors. Here are just a few of the dermal fillers we use in this area of the face:
FDA-Approved Fillers for Smile Lines
- Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus: While you may have received one of these fillers in your lips or cheeks, Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus are primarily indicated for the treatment of nasolabial folds and marionette lines. Juvederm Ultra is designed for mild-to-moderate lines and wrinkles; Ultra Plus is for deeper wrinkles and folds. Both fillers contain hyaluronic acid (HA) as their active ingredient. HA is produced naturally by the body and binds with water to create a plump, youthful look. As we age, HA production slows. By reintroducing HA into the area, we see immediate results with long-term benefits.
- Restylane Refyne and Defyne: Two of our newest dermal fillers, Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne are also hyaluronic acid fillers with more flexibility. They are indicated for both stationary and animated lines around the mouth. Each is a different consistency, allowing treatment of mild-to-moderate and moderate-to-severe wrinkles and folds.
- Juvederm Vollure: For more superficial marionette lines, Juvederm Vollure can help. This thin filler allows us to smooth very shallow lines without over-plumping the area, which can make patients look unnatural.
- Sculptra Aesthetic*: Unlike Juvederm and Restylane, Sculptra is not a hyaluronic acid filler. Its active ingredient is poly-L-lactic acid. When injected in nasolabial folds, it provides more gradual results as it rebuilds collagen. Results last longer than hyaluronic acid fillers; however, Sculptra is often just the first step. After Sculptra has gotten to work rebuilding collagen, many patients also receive a hyaluronic acid filler to plump up the area for the finishing touch.
*Only available in Santa Monica, CA
Cheek Fillers Also Help With Smile Lines
The fillers listed above are just a few that we use to fill the nasolabial folds and marionette lines themselves. However, there’s a lot more that goes into correcting these smile lines. In addition to filling these lines directly, fillers placed higher up into the cheek area can also help lift the sagging facial skin. Restylane Lyft and even Juvederm Voluma work well for this, and the added benefit is fuller and more youthful cheeks.
The fillers and placement of fillers depends on your facial anatomy. During your consultation, we will watch you animate your face in different ways. This will help us understand your facial anatomy much better. From here, we will know what you need in order to smooth out those pesky nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
Microneedling, Collagen Induction Therapy
Filling isn’t the only solution to smile lines. If your lines are still relatively superficial, microneedling can provide excellent results. Also known as collagen induction therapy, microneedling uses tiny needles to create microscopic punctures in the skin. This triggers the body’s natural healing processes, sending collagen to the microinjuries. This collagen doesn’t just help heal the punctures; it also restores the natural scaffolding beneath the skin, plumping it and restoring a more youthful appearance. After a series of treatments, skin looks healthier, more youthful, and vibrant.
Correct Nasolabial Folds and Marionette Lines in Portland, OR
In addition to making you look younger, our goal is to help you look natural. Filler placement requires a lot of experience, skill, and expertise in facial anatomy. Too much filler in the lower face can make you look older, not younger. To avoid this, it’s important to select your aesthetic injection specialists wisely. Skin by Lovely isn’t a medical spa that offers everything to everyone; we’re a specialized injectables practice that injects Botox and dermal filler treatments all day, every day. We also train other providers on injection techniques. Our team includes some of the most experienced injectors in the country, all dedicated to helping you look younger without looking “done.”
Why Choose Skin by Lovely in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, CA?
With so many practices in the Los Angeles area to choose from, our patients choose Skin by Lovely because we specialize in injectable facial rejuvenation. While other LA-based practices offer everything from facials to weight loss to body contouring, we focus on Botox and dermal filler treatments almost exclusively. We’re in the top 10 of Botox and Juvederm practices in the nation, are certified Allergan trainers, and travel to our Portland practice to assist with teaching other providers at Injection U.
Schedule a Consultation for Facial Rejuvenation at Skin by Lovely
We’re ready to help you look and feel your best. Schedule a consultation with one of our aesthetic injection specialists today and get started.
About Skin by Lovely™
Skin by Lovely specializes in FDA-approved, natural-looking, non-surgical, medical facial aesthetics and rejuvenation treatments. With practices in Santa Monica, CA, Portland, OR, and Lake Oswego, OR. Skin by Lovely is certified by Allergan, the makers of Botox® and Juvederm®, as a Top 10 facial aesthetic practice in the United States and a Top 25 account for Galderma, the makers of Dysport® and Restylane®. Get the treatment you deserve at Skin by Lovely.
More information can be found at skinbylovely.com.